Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bhut Jolokia a.k.a Ghost Chili

This post will be about my recently discovered hobby. Which is... Gardening! (to those who know me: YES BELIEVE IT OR NOT LOL) This time last year, I would not even touch soil unless I absolutely had to, neither was I even slightly intrigued by the idea of a garden. But now.. that has changed! 


So, as a self proclaimed novice gardener I have a small collection of plants in my inventory. Let me begin with my most treasured plant, which is the Bhut Jolokia (a.k.a Ghost Chili Pepper).

Chili Scoville Heat Scale:
1,500,000–2,000,000Most law enforcement grade pepper sprayTrinidad Moruga Scorpion
855,000–1,463,700Naga Viper pepper, Infinity Chilli, Bhut Jolokia chili pepperTrinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper, Bedfordshire Super Naga
350,000–580,000Red Savina habanero
100,000–350,000Habanero chiliScotch bonnet pepperDatil pepperRocotoMadame Jeanette, Peruvian White Habanero, Jamaican hot pepper, Guyana Wiri Wiri
50,000–100,000Byadgi chilliBird's eye chili (aka. Thai Chili Pepper), Malagueta pepperChiltepin pepperPiri piri (African bird's eye)Pequin pepper
30,000–50,000Guntur chilliCayenne pepperAjí pepper,[16] Tabasco pepper, Cumari pepper (Capsicum chinese),Katara (spicy)
10,000–23,000Serrano pepperPeter pepperAleppo pepper
3,500–8,000Espelette pepperJalapeño pepper, ChipotleGuajillo pepper, New Mexican varieties of Anaheim pepper, Hungarian wax pepperTabasco sauce
1,000–2,500Anaheim pepperPoblano pepperRocotillo pepperPeppadew
100–900PimentoPeperonciniBanana pepper
0No significant heat, Bell pepperCubanelleAji dulce

As you can see from the chart, the chili that we are familiar with in Malaysia, the Chili Padi (a.k.a Bird's Eye) has a SHU (Scoville Heat Units) rating of 50,000-100,000SHU. And Chili Padi's are very spicy! The Bhut Jolokia I'm currently growing has a Scoville rating of 1, 041,427 SHU's! That's about 10 times hotter than the Chili Padi!! By the way, Scoville units are measurements for capsaicin, which is the chemical that gives us the spicy feeling.

1 SHU unit = 1 drop of water to neutralize the spiciness.

Chili Padi = 50,000- 100,000 SHU.

Bhut Jolokia (a.k.a Ghost Pepper) = 1,041,427 SHU!

I am growing two Bhut Jolokia's, managed to get the rare seeds through my older bro. They were rather tough to grow at first, but now they are healthy! It took about a month for the seeds to germinate.

My precious babies..
                                                                       When they were about a month old




                                        Today: My babies aged 2 months after date of germination. Looking healthy! 


Here is a video to demonstrate the potency of the Ghost Pepper. By the way, they nicknamed it Ghost Pepper because people who ate it tend to look like ghosts afterwards..

This macho man didn't do so well! 






 This is how the chili should look like when harvested.


I can't wait to eat them!!  about 100 days to go before flowering, and then harvesting. I can't wait to harvest them.. I feel like playing chili pranks on my friends.. he he he...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did your brother get the seeds? Have you taste it?

Anonymous said...

i want to buy the seeds please email me anybody yowkimfui@yahoo.com thanks

LK said...

Hey there, I'm very interested to know the current condition of ur ghost chili plant. Planning to plant one of them on my own but not sure how it will turn up under Malaysian weather.

Please drop me an email radical85(at)gmail(dot)com

Radin Hairi said...

hey man, can i get some seeds from u? send me some email to c r y p t h i s @ g m a i l . com

regards :)

bobby said...

Please tel me where to get this in KL